ipcop support

community support forum
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm 
New User

Hi.

I have a cellular modem attached to the USB port on my computer.
I would like to use this with my IPCop as well, but can IPCop handle this? The problem seems to be that I need to enter the PIN-code for the chip in the modem, like you do with a cellphone. Can this be done?

Mikael

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Moderator

Only if it is pin locked. As of 1.4.18, IPCop has the patched for 3G usbserial driver but you have to still get your hands dirty. You need the vendor id and device id for starters so you can edit /etc/modules.conf to make use of it. Also a good init string is needed for the modem page. In the dialup settings, you would simply pick either USB0 or USB1, it is likely USB0. As far as needing a pin, that can be added to the init string as well. I had been doing this on my own for a few years but you need info. I would caution you that for some unknown reason, the Linux howto pages are full of clunky chat scripts that would require you to use a terminal to connect. All these cards have been able to use a single concatenated init string in a modern gui dialer for many years now. At least they could offer the modern alternative. People blindly follow this as if there is no other way. Chatscripts are good for troubleshooting but then so is clicking the debugging button in IPCop's dialer.

Provide more info about your hardware and cellular carrier please.

Raqcop-2.1.5 Flash Raid 1 with Two Transcend Industrial CF Drives and Syba adapters.
Bridged Actiontec 702 ADSL 2+ Modem using Frontier ADSL complete with blocked port 25 in both directions, sigh....
WLAN AP Addon using RT 3072 Chipped Premiertek Powerlink PL-18N connected to built in USB port.
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:24 pm 
New User

I'll check the modem when I can and get back to you.

The carrier is in Sweden and is Telia. Don't know if you can help me with this.

But, I'll get back with specs of the modem.

Mikael

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
New User

Sorry for the delay.

It's a Huawei HSDPA USB modem with model E220. It is connected through the Swedish operator Telia, but my guess is that it's europeean settings.

Thanks

Mikael

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 pm 
New User

Honnett wrote:
Sorry for the delay.

It's a Huawei HSDPA USB modem with model E220. It is connected through the Swedish operator Telia, but my guess is that it's europeean settings.

Thanks

Mikael

Bump!

I have the same modem and on my desktop distro have it working perfictly with this guide http://www.tlug.org.za/wiki/index.php/Vodacom_3G . I'm tring to get it going on ipcop except obviously replacing modprobe option with modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 (I think where the 2.6 kernel guides just show modprobe option the "option module" simply figures out which modem u have huawei or otherwise and types in all the appropriate modprobe usbserial + vendorID + productID for you .. unnecssary but easyer[removes a lot of manual work hunting down the IDs])

Honnett from my own success I guarantee modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 plus that url will make a E220 work on linux so don't give up!

Currently i just chucked modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 just above the line `echo "Mounting other filesystems"` in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit cause i can't seem to get it to work in /etc/modules.conf. (well dmesg dose report anything when i plug it in doing it the modules.conf way anway)

Davidsworld whats wrong with scripts; if i could put in /etc/ppp/chat-3g-connect and /etc/ppp/peers/3g then type $pon 3g I would have got this working by now! .. Ok so i would rather have it in the gui so i can use all the ipcop features but in my rare (special cell modem) case I don't know how to do the simple web gui way.

One thing I'm trying to do with web interface way is OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","APNname" how do i put in the APN the web way?
what do i put in the first drop down list Modem or serial ?

If someone has made a modifyed pppsetup.cgi thats a bit better please may I have directions.

Also theres a field called Script name on the pppsetup.cgi page can i use that to use chat-3g-connect or something, how does that field work?

Looking at the road map http://ipcop.org/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=IPCopRoadmap it says "Add 3G usbserial modems support from web GUI" well thats good! I hope that includes a box for the APN

My last question is is there away to do a pon 3g in Ipcop (as in any way i can run scripts from bash)

P.S sorry for my rambled wording of things.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Moderator

sabgenton wrote:
Honnett wrote:
Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Mikael

Bump!

I have the same modem and on my desktop distro have it working perfictly with this guide http://www.tlug.org.za/wiki/index.php/Vodacom_3G . I'm tring to get it going on ipcop except obviously replacing modprobe option with modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 (I think where the 2.6 kernel guides just show modprobe option the "option module" simply figures out which modem u have huawei or otherwise and types in all the appropriate modprobe usbserial + vendorID + productID for you .. unnecssary but easyer[removes a lot of manual work hunting down the IDs])

Honnett from my own success I guarantee modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 plus that url will make a E220 work on linux so don't give up!

Currently i just chucked modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 just above the line `echo "Mounting other filesystems"` in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit cause i can't seem to get it to work in /etc/modules.conf. (well dmesg dose report anything when i plug it in doing it the modules.conf way anway)

Davidsworld whats wrong with scripts; if i could put in /etc/ppp/chat-3g-connect and /etc/ppp/peers/3g then type $pon 3g I would have got this working by now! .. Ok so i would rather have it in the gui so i can use all the ipcop features but in my rare (special cell modem) case I don't know how to do the simple web gui way.

One thing I'm trying to do with web interface way is OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","APNname" how do i put in the APN the web way?
what do i put in the first drop down list Modem or serial ?

If someone has made a modifyed pppsetup.cgi thats a bit better please may I have directions.

Also theres a field called Script name on the pppsetup.cgi page can i use that to use chat-3g-connect or something, how does that field work?

Looking at the road map http://ipcop.org/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=IPCopRoadmap it says "Add 3G usbserial modems support from web GUI" well thats good! I hope that includes a box for the APN

My last question is is there away to do a pon 3g in Ipcop (as in any way i can run scripts from bash)

P.S sorry for my rambled wording of things.

You can but the chatscripts are antiquated and I believe from the Cretacious period. You did miss one very important feature in the usbserial module that IPCop 1.4.18 has and that is to set the endpoint buffer size to 4096 at least but you need your vendor id and device id to do it. When I patched it originally before handing it over to the IPCop team, I set it up to use an optional parameter called maxSize, if you do not specify this, the usbserial will default to a 64 byte buffer size rather than 4096 bytes which is needed for 3G to prevent usb packet fragmentation. The entire init string can contain the apn under the modem section so having a gui apn entry is really unnecessary, in fact cellular data devices for the last decade at least will work with a single one line concatenated init string including the apn. There are changes being made to the web gui more or less to set the maxSize parameter. The latest 2.6 kernels already have 3G drivers that have the 4096 endpoint buffer in them but we won't have that until version 2.0 of IPCop and preliminary testing with my 3G hardware did not yield the same throughput as the patched usbserial with the adjustable endpoint buffer we use in 1.4.18 granted that 2.0 is currently at 1.9svn and is pre pre alpha in development, still, we can patch the usbserial driver in the 2.6 kernel if it needs to happen when we get to that point.

You use "Modem on usb0" for the device normally but usb1 is available as well should the modem need to attach to it instead but it is not likely, and the phone number would be something like *99# and a good example of an init string in the modem menu is AT&F&D2&C1E0V1S0=0+CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"

And the /etc/modules.conf example would be
alias char-major-188 usbserial
options usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4300 maxSize=4096

You would substitute your vendor and product id in place of what I have as would you replace isp.cingular with your apn from your carrier. You likely have a generic username and password while you are setting up the dialup page. Yet another example in the case of AT&T/Cingular which my examples all use is

User: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

Pass: CINGULAR1

Raqcop-2.1.5 Flash Raid 1 with Two Transcend Industrial CF Drives and Syba adapters.
Bridged Actiontec 702 ADSL 2+ Modem using Frontier ADSL complete with blocked port 25 in both directions, sigh....
WLAN AP Addon using RT 3072 Chipped Premiertek Powerlink PL-18N connected to built in USB port.
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:22 am 
New User

Great that all worked!
I am now using the web gui for the modem.
Though I also found out I would have had a working connection from day one if i had realized ipcop used pppd call [script to call] instead of pon [script to call] but the web gui is working now so I will stick with that :D

Questions:

1.After not surfing/being at the computer for some time I heard the ipcop box make some beep sounds I loged into the web gui and the modem had been disconected the logs said "Terminating connection due to lack of activity." ! Other than changing to Persistent Reconnection is there a way i can set the time out to never or is something stuffing up that shouldn't be?

2.If i pull out the usb3g modem even after I click disconnect on the web gui I can't plug it in and reconnect again so i have to reboot. I can't remember having this problem on my desktop distro mabye udev is less buggy in this respect?(opposed to devfs)

3.Is there a way to up my profile 1 connection in the web gui from bash? (I guess if i looked thru the cgi files i might be able to figure it out)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 am 
Site Moderator

Believe it or not, my 3G card in my Ricoh chipped readers need more coaxing to rebind them after an eject/reinsertion as you describe in your post but with my Texas Instruments chipped reader, I can either unplug and reinsert the card with pppd still running by having the connection set to persistent, or to save the card from excessive insertion/removal cycles, running # cardctl eject and then # cardctl insert and in either case the card binds back to the device and the next dial cycle reconnects automatically. Set the modem to persistent so if it gets kicked off, it reconnects. The bugger about these is that you usually wind up with a different ip addy everytime you disconnect so that throws some running internet aware processes off and messes up file transfers.

After being in a stable residence and back to my career after a four year hiatus, I finally got dry loop dsl and voip works great as well. The portability of cellular data made it possible to take a small network worth of computers, file servers and the like on the road while doing temporary contract aircraft avionics while being laid off so I can't fault it too much as it kept me connected and current with my linux projects as well as patch tuesdays on my XP cube. I wonder what the motel maids thought when they saw my setup? To think, most people just bring a laptop.

Image Image